On Wednesday 21st November North Yorkshire Sport is inviting businesses of Harrogate and North Yorkshire to attend its first ever business breakfast. The event will take place at Harrogate Cricket Club from 7.15am to 9.00am. The aim of the event; as well as networking, is to demonstrate how businesses can benefit from the legacy of […]
North Yorkshire Sport hosts Mountain Biking event to launch new Sportivate programme
Thousands of young people in North Yorkshire are to benefit from a new programme launched by North Yorkshire Sport that aims to get 14-25 year-olds active and participating in sports. The Sportivate scheme will encourage those who are not currently taking part in a sport in their own time to get out and give it a go, and a mountain biking event in York proved the perfect way to kick-start the programme.
- The mountain biking event took place in and around the York area, and was delivered by Grit Track and Trail
- The activity introduced essential skills for people new to mountain biking and developed enough confidence to attempt a full session at Dalby Forest where they could test their skills on some of the trails that have been used for the Mountain Bike World Cup
- Other types of activity delivered to date include climbing, golf and boxing, with a fully inclusive programme for people with disabilities, all which have contributed to the Sportivate initiative
- Managed by North Yorkshire Sport within the county, Sportivate is a Sport England scheme that launched in 2011
- Almost £500,000 of funding has been provided to cover the cost of the activity over four years, which will aim to increase sporting involvement amongst young people – particularly targeting those who might otherwise not participate in sports regularly
- As part of the ‘Places People Play’ mass participation legacy programme for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Sportivate will see 400,000 teenagers and young adults each completing six to eight weeks of sporting activity over a four year period from 2011 to 2015
David Watson, Executive Director of North Yorkshire Sport, comments:
We are delighted to launch our new Sportivate scheme; it will really encourage young people to get active and discover a sport that they really enjoy, whether it’s mountain biking, golf, climbing or more! Everyone who takes part will receive high quality coaching; giving them the confidence to continue with their sporting involvement in the future. As part of the Olympic and Paralympic Games’ legacy, we hope that Sportivate will build upon the excitement, enthusiasm and momentum generated by London 2012.