On Saturday 4th January, Harpenden Sports Centre raised almost £500 for charity by hosting a six-hour Spinathon, with all proceeds going to Macmillan Cancer Support. A huge congratulations to Health & Fitness Manager, Mike Minerve and Group Exercise Instructor, Sarah Legatte, who organised the Spinathon which saw over 80 members of the local community spend […]
Batchwood tennis player achieves national top five ranking
A young tennis player who has trained at Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre for four years has achieved a top five ranking in the country.
- Emily Arbuthnott, aged 14, from Harpenden, has made a tremendous leap in the performance rankings
- She has achieved a top five ranking in the country at both the under 16 and under 14 level
- Emily won the Girls under 14 winter national tournament in Nottingham before Christmas, defeating the top seed in the final
- A week later in Bolton, she continued to show excellent form by reaching her second consecutive national semi-final in the under 16 age group
- These results have propelled Emily to number 3 in the GB national rankings in both age groups, her highest ever positions
- Emily has trained at Batchwood for four years
- Emily also plays at Harpenden Tennis Club and manages to combine 15 hours tennis training a week alongside full-time schooling at Haberdashers’ Aske’s School for Girls
- Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre is owned by St Albans City and District Council and operated in partnership with Leisure Connection
Scott Machen, Contract Manager at Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre, said:
A big congratulations from all the team at Batchwood to Emily, this season alone Emily has made an amazing leap forward, we look forward to seeing what the future brings and wish her every success in 2012!”
Liz Jones, Tennis Director at Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre, commented:
Emily has earned some fantastic results this winter and is starting to make a big impact in older age groups. Considering she only started playing under 16 tournaments in July and she’s a full-time schoolgirl, it’s a phenomenal achievement to reach a top three national ranking in just six months. She has really benefitted from the depth and range of tennis expertise available at Batchwood, where our “Winning Ways” programme has enabled her to develop her talent so effectively.