Grantham Meres Leisure Centre is gearing up to host the 2014 annual Sprint Triathlon, which will start and finish at the centre on 11th May. The event will comprise a 400m swim, followed by an 18km cycle and finishing with a 5km run The course is flat, making it ideal for both experienced triathletes and […]
LOCAL LEISURE CENTRE MAKES A SPLASH FOR MARIE CURIE CANCER CARE AND SPORT RELIEF
Bourne Leisure Centre, Deepings Leisure Centre, Grantham Meres Leisure Centre and Stamford Leisure Centres in South Kesteven are diving into the world’s biggest fundraising swim this April to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care and Sport Relief.
- Now in its 25th year the highly successful Swimathon has joined forces with British Swimming, the BBC’s Big Splash and Sport Relief to promote what is hoped to be the biggest and best swimming event ever
- Swimathon Weekend 2012 hits 645 pools across the UK between 27-29 April and will give thousands of swimmers the opportunity to raise vital funds for Marie Curie Cancer Care through Swimathon’s established Distance Challenges and for Sport Relief with the new ‘Big Splash Mile for Sport Relief’
- Swimathon Weekend participants swimming for Marie Curie Cancer Care can choose from the 5k, 2.5k or Team 5k challenges and those opting to raise money for the ‘Big Splash Mile for Sport Relief’ can take part individually or as part of a team to complete a Mile
- Funds raised by taking on the Swimathon Distance Challenges for Marie Curie Cancer Care will provide free nursing care and support for people with terminal cancer and other illnesses
- The charity expects to care for over 31,000 terminally ill patients in the community and in its hospices this year
- All the money raised by the public for the Big Splash Mile for Sport Relief will be spent by Comic Relief to help people living incredibly tough lives; both here, at home in the UK, and across the world’s poorest countries
- Be one of the first 10,000 people to sign up online for a Swimathon Weekend session before 31 January 2012 and you’ll enjoy half price entry from £10 to £5. Swimmer entry is open until 25 April 2012
Swimathon President Duncan Goodhew said:
We all know that 2012 will be a very special year for sport in Britain. In our 25th Anniversary year, we’d love to add to the half a million people who have taken part in the event over the years to dive into pools up and down the country. Teaming up with the Big Splash is not only a great way to help make this happen, but should also boost the total funds raised for two important charities; Marie Curie Cancer Care and Sport Relief.