A team coach at Blackwater Leisure Centre has been named ‘Miss Sportswoman of East Anglia 2013’ at the Miss East Anglia 2013 competition. Girls all over East Anglia applied for the competition to become ‘Miss East Anglia 2013’ Esmee Gummer, from Maldon, competed in preliminary rounds earlier this year, and competed against 16 girls at [...]
Blackwater Leisure Centre gives GP-referral new lease of life
Demonstrating that being active can greatly improve your health, Blackwater Leisure Centre has over the past year helped 73-year-old Clare Urry, from Maldon, go from using a mobility scooter to being able to cycle to and from the centre.
- The centre advised Clare to join its GP referral scheme, as she needed both ankle joints replacing and her Achilles tendons lengthening, as well as just undergoing a hip replacement
- In order for the operation to go ahead she needed to improve her strength and fitness, so undertook three monitored gym sessions a week for just under a year
- When Clare first arrived at the centre she walked using two crutches and often had to use a mobility scooter to move between pieces of gym equipment
- After her operation and recovery time she came back to the gym able to walk unaided and cycle to the centre
- Since her recovery Clare has joined the discounted gym and swim package for the over-60s, which is available on an annual basis and includes three one-to-one sessions
- She is now taking three gym, swim and aqua aerobics classes a week to further improve her fitness
- The GP referral scheme is available at Blackwater Leisure Centre by referral from your doctor, and runs over an initial three-month period with consultation, programme and review
Clare Urry commented:
When I first started the GP referral scheme I had very limited mobility and through the amazing dedication of the staff at Blackwater my fitness improved to great levels before my operation and since I have recovered it has massively improved my quality of life and I can now mobilise enough to help others. I can’t thank the staff at Blackwater enough for the help they have given me through the scheme.
Phil Wallis, Contract Manager at Blackwater Leisure Centre, commented:
When I first met Clare she was almost unable to walk, and now when I see her she is happy and bubbly – a completely different woman! Our GP referral scheme is run by Brian Randall, and he has done a fantastic job in helping Clare to improve her fitness and quality of life.