Blackwater Leisure Centre is continuing to support the local community by offering a free bath book, swimming lesson and drink to all toddler groups in the Maldon area. This new incentive is a great way to get toddlers having fun in the pool from an early age Building confidence in the water from a young […]
Blackwater Leisure Centre gives GP-referral new lease of life
Demonstrating that being active can greatly improve your health, Blackwater Leisure Centre has over the past year helped 73-year-old Clare Urry, from Maldon, go from using a mobility scooter to being able to cycle to and from the centre.
- The centre advised Clare to join its GP referral scheme, as she needed both ankle joints replacing and her Achilles tendons lengthening, as well as just undergoing a hip replacement
- In order for the operation to go ahead she needed to improve her strength and fitness, so undertook three monitored gym sessions a week for just under a year
- When Clare first arrived at the centre she walked using two crutches and often had to use a mobility scooter to move between pieces of gym equipment
- After her operation and recovery time she came back to the gym able to walk unaided and cycle to the centre
- Since her recovery Clare has joined the discounted gym and swim package for the over-60s, which is available on an annual basis and includes three one-to-one sessions
- She is now taking three gym, swim and aqua aerobics classes a week to further improve her fitness
- The GP referral scheme is available at Blackwater Leisure Centre by referral from your doctor, and runs over an initial three-month period with consultation, programme and review
Clare Urry commented:
When I first started the GP referral scheme I had very limited mobility and through the amazing dedication of the staff at Blackwater my fitness improved to great levels before my operation and since I have recovered it has massively improved my quality of life and I can now mobilise enough to help others. I can’t thank the staff at Blackwater enough for the help they have given me through the scheme.
Phil Wallis, Contract Manager at Blackwater Leisure Centre, commented:
When I first met Clare she was almost unable to walk, and now when I see her she is happy and bubbly – a completely different woman! Our GP referral scheme is run by Brian Randall, and he has done a fantastic job in helping Clare to improve her fitness and quality of life.