Downham Health & Leisure Centre is inviting local young people to attend roller-skating sessions every Friday starting 28th March after receiving vital funding from The Downham Assembly, which aims to encourage more activities and youth provision in the local community. The centre won the Youth Activities bid and will be running two roller-skating sessions every […]
Make a big splash at Downham Health & Leisure Centre
This October, Downham Health & Leisure Centre is urging as many local people as possible to swap the TV remote and games consoles for a pair of goggles and head down to their local swimming pool to take part in the UK’s Big Splash.
- The Big Splash is a campaign by British Swimming and the BBC to encourage the nation to take a dip in their local swimming pools and celebrate a much loved pastime
- Downham Health & Leisure Centre wants as many local people as possible to join the other 13 million people across the UK by taking part in swimming activities and making a Big Splash
- The Big Splash Half Term Crash Course, where children can learn to swim with one lesson a day for five days, will take place from Monday 24 to Friday 28 October
- Lessons for 3-5 year olds are held at 10.30am and lessons for 5 years and older at stage 1 and 2 at 11.am and 11.30am respectively
- This is a great opportunity for non-swimmers and those who need a little practice to improve their swimming
Nigel Court, Contract Manager at Downham Health & Leisure Centre said:
There’s a great deal going on locally to celebrate swimming – a Big Splash Crash Course, a family swim every Sunday from 9-11.30am and not forgetting free swimming for every Lewisham resident aged 16 and under and those aged over 60 when they have a Lewisham library card. The aim of the Big Splash is to encourage new people into the pool and help those who already swim to have more fun more often. Swimming is a great form of physical activity and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. We hope as many people as possible will register via www.swimming.org/bigsplash/get-involved and join in the fun. Come on, jump in – the water’s lovely.