Gumtree.com, the UK’s largest classifieds website has recruited Matt Button to its growing team in the newly created role of Head of CRM. Button will work with the Gumtree marketing team and its agencies to devise and deliver a CRM strategy that acquires, nurtures, engages and retains customers across all its categories. The CRM strategy […]
Take a backseat Clarkson and Evans: Brits have more faith in dad when buying cars
Brits have more faith in dad when buying cars
Most Brits would prefer to be accompanied by their fathers and not Jeremy Clarkson or Chris Evans when shopping for a car. The automobile aficionados lost out to the humble ‘dad’ in a survey conducted by Gumtree, the UK’s number one private car marketplace.
- 31% of us said we’d rather take our dads along when buying a used car
- 21% opting for Clarkson
- 8% were comfortable with being accompanied by the silent racing driver ‘The Stig’
- 2.5% went with the former Top Gear host Chris Evans
The 2,000 person survey on car buying habits supports the launch of The Inside Track, Gumtree’s new suite of online tools that enables customers to make better-informed decisions when buying or selling used cars.
When asked about the challenges buyers faced when shopping for a used car:
- 46% said ‘Being able to identify potential problems with the car’ was a concern
- 31% picked ‘Knowing the car’s history’, underscoring the importance of HPI checks and fundamental general knowledge of car maintenance.
To help customers make better decisions when buying and selling cars, the components of The Inside Track include:
- Car price index – allowing buyers to quickly understand whether a car represents good value for money before making a purchase. The tool also allows sellers to understand the value of their car by pricing it against Gumtree’s total inventory
- Car cost calculator – giving buyers a rundown of the estimated ‘total cost of ownership’ (TCO) of their desired purchase, looking at factors such as mileage, service and insurance
- HPI check – vehicle check provided by HPI Ltd that scrutinises the history of any motorised vehicle registered in the UK. Gumtree will offer below-market rate to its users to run the check. The report alerts buyers to any information held against the vehicle by finance and insurance companies, the DVLA, the Police and other industry bodies
- Car buyer/seller guide – providing general hints and tips and advice to buyers, such as such as the Gumtree Pre-sale Checklist and the Car Buyer’s Contract
Morten Heuing, Gumtree’s General Manager commented:
“Our goal at Gumtree is to have the best informed customers in the marketplace. Our research showed that many people are woefully uninformed about best practices when buying or selling cars. A car is an important purchase that should be carefully considered, so we wanted to bring all these disparate bits of information and intelligence under one roof called ‘The Inside Track’. As the leading private car marketplace we’re certain The Inside Track will become an indispensable guide for the millions of people who visit our Motors section every month.”
Full press release is attached below as well as high resolution images.