Repairs can be a point of frustration for homeowners and tradesmen alike – waiting for walls to dry means work can take days to be completed. With this in mind, Dunlop, specialist manufacturer of adhesives, grouts, finishing and ancillary products, has developed Rapid Repair Mortar with Hydroloc™ It is an innovative new product for filling […]
Dunlop survey reveals that nearly 80% of tradesmen use, or plan to use smartphones to help them work
Dunlop Adhesives, the specialist manufacturer of adhesives, grouts, finishing and ancillary products, has released results of a survey that quizzed tradesmen on their use of smartphones at work. The results threw up a number of interesting figures – particularly that 56% of tradesmen who took part in the survey already own smartphones, and of that number, 79% either already use, or plan to use, smartphones to assist them in their trade.
- Dunlop conducted the survey as part of an investigation into how new developments in technology over the last few years have affected the building trade, and how smartphone capability can potentially help tradesmen in their everyday operations
- Smartphone applications have obviously had a substantial impact in the normal lives of people the world over, but are they being regularly used within specific industries such as the building trade?
- The survey suggests that tradesmen feel that there are not enough mobile sites on the market targeted towards the building trade
- While 37% of tradesmen download apps, only 22% of those download work related apps currently available for their smartphones
- All respondents from the questionnaire were put into prize draw to win an iPod shuffle and Mr P Randall, a builder from Home Fix Services, who said he used his smartphone for “talking to customers, pricing and ordering”, was the lucky winner
Debi Bailey, Brand Manager for Dunlop Adhesives, comments:
Technology has moved so fast in the last few years that it is increasingly important to be aware of the potential changes to methodologies of working, and the building trade is certainly no exception. We were really curious to find out how tradesmen are utilising the success of smartphone technology to help them within the trade; both as a picture of the present, and as a potential insight to the future of the industry.
I think that what this survey reveals is that times are changing; if a tradesmen needs advice or guidance when tackling a particular job they are as likely to look for advice on their smartphone as they are to dust off an old builder’s manual. At Dunlop we want to make sure that we maximise the potential of new technology, which is why we have invested in digital tools such as our new Job Build tool on our TradeZone.