Harpenden Sports Centre in St Albans has been ranked as one of the top five centres taking part in the Lawn Tennis Association’s (LTA) Great British Tennis Weekends this year, attracting almost 400 local people to its event In recognition of this, the centre will receive £300 worth of tennis vouchers from the LTA, the […]
On yer bike! Local man embarks on St Albans to Paris charity ride
Dean North, a local man from St Albans is raising money for Cancer Research UK by cycling the 300 miles from St Albans to Paris in only 24 hours.
- Dean North is currently training at both Westminster Lodge and Harpenden Leisure Centres in preparation for the sponsored bike ride on 4th March 2012
- He is encouraging people to donate using Just Giving at or by texting STAP60 and the amount to donate up to £10 to 70070.
- Dean has been a member of the Harpers Fitness gyms for more than two years and last year decided that he would like to take part in an event to raise money for Cancer Research UK after family and friends had been affected by the disease.
- The ride will start on at midnight on 3rd March at St Albans Cathedral and finish at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, at midnight on the 4th March
- Dean will also be joined on the ride by three friends Liam Smith, Steve Hawes and Lee Jefferies
- Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre and Harpenden Leisure Centre and Pool are owned by St Albans City and District Council and operated in partnership with Leisure Connection.
Before deciding to embark on this challenge in June I hadn’t ridden a bike since I was 13! The 24-hour time limit is going to be a big challenge, so my training has been intense but essential The Harpers Fitness gyms have all the equipment I need, as well as friendly staff who are always willing to offer advice on the type of exercises I should be doing to fully prepare for the ride as well as plenty of encouragement. At the moment I am focusing on building the strength up in my legs and the team have been giving me tips on which machines to use and exercises to do – there is always someone there to offer advice and tips. All and any advice is welcomed, so I’m more than happy to answer questions and have a chat with anyone at the gyms.
Scott Machen, Contract Manager at Westminster Lodge and Harpenden Leisure Centres said:
We’re all fully behind Dean and are looking forward to the St Albans to Paris challenge. We know Dean will do his best and do us proud.