Over 600 young athletes from across Lincolnshire were celebrated this week as Olympic Freestyle Swimmer, Ross Davenport, joined Grantham Meres Leisure Centre at the annual Sainsbury’s School Games Winter Festival. The festival – which saw visitors from across the county celebrate young athletic talent – provided an opportunity for the local community to enjoy a […]
Make a Big Splash with free swimming taster sessions at South Kesteven leisure centres
As part of the Big Splash campaign, four swimming pools in South Kesteven will be offering free starter swimming lessons between 21-23 October. For those that have been inspired by David Walliams’ achievement in swimming the Thames, why not take to the water at one of the participating pools.
- Stamford Leisure Pool, Bourne Leisure Centre, Deepings Leisure Centre and Grantham Meres Leisure Centre have joined forces with British Swimming and the BBC to deliver the Big Splash campaign and inspire the nation to swim.
- Available to children of all ages who are interested in learning to swim or developing their water confidence further, each session will last thirty minutes. As an added incentive, all participants will receive a complimentary swim bag and a priority booking lesson in the next term
- The lessons are scheduled as follows:
- Stamford Leisure Pool – Friday 21 October 2011, 09:30 – 10:30
- Bourne Leisure Centre – Saturday 22 October 2011, 15:00 – 17:00
- Deepings Leisure Centre – Saturday 22 October 2011, 12:00 – 14:00
- Grantham Meres Leisure Centre – Sunday 23 October 2011, 10:00 – 12:00, 12:30 – 14:30
- To book a place for a swimming taster session contact your local South Kesteven Leisure Centre
Paul Fowler, Swimming Development Manager for the South Kesteven Leisure Centres, commented:
We’re absolutely delighted to be involved in the Big Splash initiative. Swimming is a fantastic skill, and these taster lessons offer a fun, social and safe way for children to gain confidence in the water. We hope that the community will really get involved and take advantage of these great offers!
Double Olympic champion Becky Adlington is supporting the Big Splash campaign. She said:
Swimming is my life but just getting in the pool a couple of times a week is a really great way of getting active and staying healthy. I’m right behind anything that encourages people to take the plunge and swim more often.