Peterlee Leisure Centre will extend its opening hours starting from Monday 5th January 2015 to allow time for busy members to exercise before work. The gym will open from the revised time of 6.15am Monday to Friday, with the swimming pool opening from 8am The centre will be open from 9am until 5pm at weekends […]
Peterlee Leisure Centre secures £2,000 grant from Leisure in the Community
Peterlee Leisure Centre has successfully secured a £2,000 grant from Leisure in the Community that will be used to support four community groups, under the banner ‘Happy Days’ and help promote an open day on Sunday 17th June.
- Over the past year Peterlee Leisure Centre has worked alongside a variety of community groups in order to raise physical activity participation levels in the local area
- The groups that will benefit from this funding are Easington Carers, Home Group Well Being and Recovery Outreach Service, East Durham Belles, and a new group for older people
- The funding will be used to purchase equipment that can be shared by all of the groups with the overall aim of increasing participation
- The funding will also be used to promote an Open Day at the centre on Sunday 17th June to coincide with the arrival of the Olympic Torch to Peterlee
- The groups each run a ‘Happy Days’ session
- On Mondays the Easington Carers offer a respite for registered carers between 9am an 12noon, the East Durham Belles Ladies group meets every Wednesday at 9am until 12noon for activities including swimming, badminton and squash and, finally, The Home Group operates its Happy Thursday session every week 9am until 12noon, offering a variety of sports and games
Malcolm Grinstead, Contract Manager for Peterlee Leisure Centre, commented:
We are extremely happy to be receiving a substantial amount of funding for Peterlee Leisure Centre and are excited to establish a new group for older people. We are always looking for volunteers so anyone wanting to get involved with any of the groups should contact the centre.